Saturday, February 13, 2010

No Fail Sugar Cookies & Royal Icing

My extremely talented friend Jami makes cookies and cakes for weddings and events. Recently she made and decorated some cookies for an Eagle Court of Honor. I had to take care of some other assignments so I never made it to the refreshment table. On the way home, my husband raved about the cookies. They looked perfect. They tasted perfect. I told him, "I bet Jami made those." He said, "No way, those cookies were too perfect. They bought them." (Well...yes, they did...Jami is a professional.)


Now, keep in mind. Neither my husband or I are huge fans of sugar cookies. All of my sisters have these traditions of decorating sugar cookies with their kids around the holidays. I've always wanted to do that but it always seems so wasteful to me. It always ends with me throwing them in the trash. Afterall, if I don't like them, why would I deliver them to someone else? I've tried several recipes over the year but to no avail. Nothing appeals.

So, I begged and pleaded with Jami to share her recipe. And guess what? She posted it to her blog and gave permission for me to post it here. So, for all of the sugar cookie grinches out there like me...give it one more try and prepare to be converted.

The link to Jami's post of the sugar cookie recipe is here. You can check out her gallery here but be aware that Jami has recently announced a temporary hiatus from her profession in the interest of her family. Here's hoping she is back at it soon.




No Fail Sugar Cookies
Ingredients
6 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 cups butter (make sure it is at room temp)
2 cups sugar (white granulated)
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt

Instructions
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes in a kitchenaid mixer. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to the butter mixture. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
Chill for 1 hour.
Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes. (This recipe is great because it holds it shape even when using complex cookie cutters)
Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350
degrees for 8 to 10 minutes (in my oven they bake for 6 min. 45 sec) or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges.

Antonia74 Royal Icing
Ingredients
3/4 cup of warm water
5 Tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 bag (2.25 lbs.) powdered icing sugar


Instructions
In kitchenaid mixer bowl, pour in the warm water and the meringue powder. Mix it with a whisk by hand until it is frothy and thickened…about 30 seconds.
Add the cream of tartar and mix for 30 seconds more.
Pour in all the powdered sugar at once and place the bowl on the mixer.
Using the paddle attachment on the LOWEST speed, mix slowly for a full 10 minutes. Icing will get thick and creamy.
Cover the bowl with a dampened tea-towel to prevent crusting and drying.
Tint with food colourings or thin the icing with small amounts of warm water to reach the desired consistency.


Let me just warn you though that royal icing can be very tricky the first few times you use it. The consistency is VERY important...too runny or too thick and it can be a disaster.



No comments:

Post a Comment