I looked for the recipe again when we invited some friends over for dinner a week ago. They are following a special meal plan and our invitation was used as their "free" day. Come to find out this recipe combines all of their favorite sweet ingredients into one recipe. It was a home run! We sent them away with a plate and then received a call asking for the recipe.
On the downside, this recipe is calorie-laden people. After FHE dessert the next night we still had a good portion left over and I didn't want it lying around. I sent it to school with David with strict instructions that he was to share them ALL with his friends and not eat them on his own. (I know, I know, I'll duck from your daggers and start watching for the death threats in the mail.) When I picked him up from school that day the first thing he passed on was a request for the recipe. Apparently, the parent cafeteria monitors appreciated his treat too.
So, here goes! Proceed with caution...

Oatmeal Carmelitas
from Pillsbury Best of the Bakeoff
from Pillsbury Best of the Bakeoff
makes 36 bars
CRUST
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups butter, softened
FILLING
1 (12.25 oz) jar (1 cup) caramel ice cream topping (I used Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (6 oz) package (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1 (12.25 oz) jar (1 cup) caramel ice cream topping (I used Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (6 oz) package (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13×9-inch pan. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine all crust ingredients; mix at low speed until crumbly. Reserve half of crumb mixture (about 3 cups) for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture in bottom of greased pan. Bake at 350°F. for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine caramel topping and 3 tablespoons flour; blend well.
Remove partially baked crust from oven; sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
Return to oven; bake an additional 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until filling is set. Cut into bars.
Funny! I tried these when finding them on my own on the internet and did not like them as well as a similar recipe I have. Looks like I am outnumbered. :)
ReplyDelete