Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Korean Cucumber Salad

Dale loved this one! It's spicy so that is no surprise. Actually a little too spicy for me. I'll reduce the red pepper next time as another reviewer did. I did not salt the cucumbers because I don't like my cucumbers wilted.



Korean Cucumber Salad

Use a mandoline or food processor to slice the cucumber uniformly thin. Salting the cucumber causes it to wilt and draws out excess moisture. It also gives the dish a pickled quality similar to kimchi, Korea's spicy and pungent fermented cabbage condiment.


  • YIELD:
    8 servings (serving size: about 1/4 cup)
Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 cups (1/16-inch-thick) slices English cucumber (about 1 large)
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons minced green onions
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Preparation
  • Combine cucumber and salt, tossing well. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Drain and squeeze dry.
  • Combine cucumber, onions, rice vinegar, sugar, crushed red pepper, and sesame oil. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment