Some of the individuals who rated the recipe stated it was a little bland so I added a black/red pepper blend instead of the black pepper and also added a touch of cayenne pepper because Dale loves that spice anyway. It had just the right kick for me.
And for the record Janae, I did not serve this with baked potatoes. Some fruit and raw red peppers on the side with sour dough bread and the meal was complete.
Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Add voluptuous texture to a low-calorie soup by using processed cheese, which melts beautifully. Mix a small portion of the soup in the blender to add body.
Yield
6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
Ingredients
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced *I used 4 cloves based on comments by others.
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package broccoli florets *I chopped these based on comments by others.
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk *I used skim milk.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper *I used a black/red pepper blend.
- 8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light) *I used grated mexican cheese blend instead.
Preparation
Heat a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.
Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper (and spices). Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor , and process until smooth (I skipped this since the broccoli was already chopped.). Return pureed soup mixture to pan.
Nutritional Information
- Calories: 203 (28% from fat)
- Fat: 6.3g (sat 4g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.4g)
- Protein: 15.6g
- Carbohydrate: 21.7g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 897mg
- Calcium: 385mg
No comments:
Post a Comment