Here is the recipe I promised to post for Heidi for all of her fresh garden tomatoes. I LOVE this recipe. My anti-vegetarian husband (who is easy-going most of the time) isn't as crazy about it because it omits meat. It is the perfect sauce as far as I am concerned although I prefer it with green peppers instead of carrots.
Fresh Tomato Sauce For Pasta
Source: Better Homes & Gardens, Healthy Family Cookbook
This is easy sauce is perfect with homemade, fresh, refrigerated, or dried pasta.
Low-fat and low-calorie recipe.
Nonstick spray coating
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup finely shredded carrots (I have substituted w/green peppers before.)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 pounds ripe fresh tomatoes, cored and chopped OR two 14 1/2-ounce cans low-sodium diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray coating. Cook onions, carrots, and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes or till vegetables are tender. Stir in fresh tomatoes or undrained canned tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes or till most of the liquid is evaporated. Cool slightly.
2. Pour mixture into a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover, and blend or process till desired consistency is reached. Makes about 3 cups sauce.
Nutrition facts per 1/2 cup: 62 calories, 1 g total fat (o g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Daily values: 42% vitamin A, 56% vitamin C, 1% calcium, 6% iron.
6 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment