This is my other favorite soup! This was originally a vegetarian meal so I'll label it that way. However, I add chicken because Dale prefers it. I've had it both ways and it is good either way. I love it and it is healthy!
Tortilla Soup Recipe
1. Simmer the following ingredients in 30 oz. container vegetable broth & 4 cups of water for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender:
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped fine
1 green, yellow OR red pepper, diced
2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup brown rice
salt & pepper & oregano & cumin -- to taste (I used about 1 tsp oregano & cumin and the pepper shaker.)
(Note: I used 15 oz. chicken broth and 15 oz. vegetable broth and added 1 1/2 cups cooked, diced chicken. The soup cooked for over 1 hour on the stove as the rice definitely takes longer than 30 minutes.)
2. Add 1 chopped tomato & 1 can (drained and rinsed) black beans. When the tomatoes are just cooked, remove from heat and add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro & 2 tablespoons lime juice. (Note: For the tomatoes I used about 1/2 can diced tomatoes.)
3. Serve over crumbled tortilla chips, salsa, shredded cheese, & sour cream. (Note: I like to put everything on top of the soup.)
3 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment